The former Howe Chemical site is a redevelopment of a brownfield site that took over 5 years of planning. From past operations at the facility there were multiple areas of soil contamination spread across the site. Rachel Contracting was hired to demolish existing buildings, export and manage contaminated soil, perform site grading, and install the vapor mitigation system below the new warehouse. Under a tight schedule, the Rachel crews exported soil form 13 different "hot-spots" to the landfill and hauled in sand. All the existing fill had to be placed below hard surfaces like the parking lots and new building according to the MPCA's RAP. To handle any additional soil vapors, a vapor mitigation system was installed to provide a path for fresh air to flow under the building and up through special roof vents.
- Export 16,000 tons of contaminated soil to landfill
- Import 11,000 cy of sand to meet new site grades
- Manage 15,000 cy of impacted soil on-site
- Install 1,800 LF of piping for vapor mitigation system
- Install 60,000 SF of 15 mil vapor barrier